Tourism Sales and Business Development Manager
Atholl Estates is an exceptional destination offering a mix of high quality and authentic visitor experiences that include Blair Castle and a range of outdoor activities, all amid spectacular scenery and a variety of accommodation options. Our 2015 Forward Plan illustrates the range of our enterprises and our immediate plans for them.
We currently attract 140,000 paying visitors and over 70,000 bed night guests each year. We would like to share the estate and all it has to offer with many more visitors; local, regional, national and international and we know there is opportunity to do so.
We are looking for a sales and business development manager to join our senior management team, working closely with the estate’s General Manager who has over-all responsibility for the management of our tourism enterprises. This new management position will take the lead in optimizing performance with the target of increasing gross margins across our tourism enterprise, particularly at the castle and caravan park and manage the delivery of results-focused, strategically planned marketing and sales activity. The Sales and Business Development Manager will ensure markets are well defined, products are aligned to those markets and promotion is effective, thereby improving engagement, visitor numbers, ticket sales, event participation and occupancy.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, the role of the Sales and Business Development Manager (SBDM) is to develop and manage the delivery of our tourism enterprise targets, working to meet the estate's business goals in both the short and long term. The strategy must lever the estate's range of tourism products and grow profitable markets to increase sales and improve gross margins, while building the brand, enhancing profile and establishing strong relationships across a variety of sectors and networks.
The SBDM will manage the effective day-to-day delivery of marketing and sales activity in order to maintain focus on the big picture and key projects. The SBDM will help develop a positive sales culture across the estate's tourism businesses, maximising opportunities to up-sell and cross-sell by mentoring staff and implementing the required tools including effective CRM software.
The SBDM will be a driving force in the continuing evolution of the estate as a visitor destination; refreshing the offer, improving standards and spearheading initiatives that elevate and enrich the experience. The role will work closely with management colleagues to help ensure the estate delights customers by meeting their needs and exceeding their expectations. This is a highly visible and hands-on role, delivering solutions and making positive changes with buy-in from the team at all levels.
While focusing initially on the existing product mix and the opportunities it presents, the SBDM will in time identify new products and capital development projects to enhance the estate offer and deliver increased sales or revenue, with rationale based on projections and ROI.
Strategy and planning:
- Engage with the Forward Plan and develop a deep and broad understanding of estate priorities in order to develop strategies that fully support them, taking into account the conservation requirements of Blair Castle, the building and its collection.
- Create annual projections and sales targets for both volume and value, monitoring performance throughout the season.
- Develop a marketing and sales strategy that includes target market information, schedules of planned activity, budgets and projected sales results; provide strong rationale for strategic direction.
- Identify opportunities for increased sales and make recommendations to leadership.
Management and leadership:
- Mentor all sales teams and visitor-facing staff.
- Plan and deliver required training, including sales training in up-selling and cross-selling, to staff as needed, in order to achieve projected sales results
- Produce timely reports that allow all staff to see how sales are progressing, as well as enable effective action to ensure projections are achieved.
- Manage the Marketing team with clear processes in place to monitor activity and results, and develop the skills base in line with business need.
- Advocate for the brand at management level, ensuring that all activity enhances and protects the estate brand.
- Find effective ways to help all staff engage with the brand, so they can live the brand through their work that directly translates to the visitor experience.
- Oversee the maintenance and evolution of brand guidelines, manage the delivery of effective brand communications and direct the collection of on-brand content (photography, videography, copy etc).
Marketing and sales activity, to include the following:
- Create and manage the delivery of a plan of strategic, scheduled marketing communications activity that drives engagement, coverage and sales, working with the marketing team.
- Lead the creation of a new, transactional website that offers an improved web experience and drives sales.
- Assess the current use of social media and develop a plan that uses all channels effectively to drive engagement and participation, ultimately with an impact on business performance; train all relevant staff in the use of social media and continually monitor activity as brand guardian.
- Develop effective CRM via a suitable system.
- Manage the development of high quality, effective collateral while maximising efficiency of time and budget.
- Lead a PR strategy, overseeing agency relationships to ensure goals are met; put mechanisms in place so that the marketing team can actively source and generate PR opportunities from across the estate, and respond to opportunities presented by the news of the day.
- Agree a schedule of planned promotions that uses discounts effectively to drive volume while retaining value.
- Build effective travel trade relationships to increase group sales – ensure accounts are effectively managed.
- Represent the estate effectively in B2B networks and tourism agencies locally, regionally and nationally.
- Create the marketing and sales budget and manage spend throughout the year.
- Establish pricing recommendations for future seasons that reflect market trends and maximise revenue.
- Manage discount levels throughout the year to ensure financial projections are met.
Administration and HR:
- Line-manage the Marketing team, both retained and agency, delegating effectively and developing the team.
- Ensure databases and other records are well kept to ensure information is retained by the business.
- Deputise for the General Manager at the castle and caravan park and provide relief duty management at both requiring occasional weekend work.
- Degree educated; a relevant degree, post-graduate or professional qualification is a plus.
- Five or more years relevant experience; destination marketing or leisure/experience marketing are desirable.
- A proven track record of delivering sustained sales growth that increases gross margin.
- A commercially astute strategic thinker; creative, analytical, sees opportunity, focused on results, passionate about quality, able to innovate.
- A natural leader with some line management experience, able to motivate and empower the team to deliver.
- Leads by example, creates and contributes to a positive and dynamic environment, is hands-on and enjoys being visible and involved.
- A professional, personable and enthusiastic face of the Estate, able to network, build long-term relationships and close deals.
What we offer:
- An attractive salary, commensurate with the position (details will be issued to short listed candidates). Accommodation on the estate is available.
- A competitive company pension scheme.
- Optional company vehicle.
- An enjoyable and rewarding place to live and work.
How to apply:
Applications should be emailed to Andrew Bruce Wootton, estate General Manager and include a completed application form and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Why you are interested in the role?
- Why you believe you are the right person for it?